Dennis Ward Stiles
1. The feather is more than a hair.The feather is more than a fishscale.
2. God created the waterand filled it with food.
Fish rise. I eat them.
3. God created air, rocksdead trees.
I fly through his breath
4. There is no beak like my beak.Come over here, gulls
sandpipers, herons, crabs.
5. Try, you others, to splashthe way I splash.
You are skimmers and dippers.
6. Blessed is the leader in flight.Blessed are the first and last to follow.
Blessed alone, blessed together.
7. Break open my eggs, enemies.I have hidden others.
Even my eggs
have the wisdom of grandfathers.
©2005 Dennis Ward Stiles